Fairy Tales 2010

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kick-Ass Riding Hood



This version of Little Red Riding Hood is a modern twist of the classic version. It has a youthful, smart-aleck tone of today’s youth generation in which we tend to think we know everything and possess all of the knowledge to overcome any obstacle. An independent woman is one of the more acceptable norms of today’s society compared to the times these stories were originally written. Instead of a helpless, clueless, somewhat of an idiot little girl, we are now presented with a girl who is already two steps ahead of the game and possesses a no-nonsense type of attitude. I much prefer this version as the wolf is completely dominated by the young girl who seems unafraid of anything, and I would much prefer this version to be circulated to youngsters today (despite the cursing, and references to the mentally ill) as it promotes a much stronger sense of self.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHA--this video is great! I agree with you--I immensely prefer this brand of "Little Red Riding Hood." She's crafty, sassy, and independent. Her dry, sarcastic sense of humor and no-nonsense attitude is a refreshing shift from the helpless Little Red Riding Hood of previous tales. I also agree that it sends a more contemporary, up-to-date message to children than the Grimm's outdated version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how fashionable Little Red Riding Hood is with those boots. I can totally relate to her ironic too-cool-for-school attitude. Though I tried to resist it at first, I'm not gonna lie. It made me laugh quite a bit.

    I think it's interesting how she has agency in this tale. Instead of being something in need of educating or protecting, Little Red Riding Hood is the one doing the teaching. She's strong, smart, sassy. An independent woman.

    As the Grimm brothers evolved the version of the story to include the idea of childhood, this version evolves the story to include the idea that women can fend for themselves--something that probably wasn't as commonplace in the 1800s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with the two of you, her boots definitely fit her personality, who says Little Red Riding Hood can't be fashionable?! All of the characters assume that her reactions will mimic the character depicted in the Grimm's version or countless others as helpless. However, Riding hood is quick to educate them and definitely represents the youth mentality of today. This version would definitely not be appreciated by previous authors and most men in the 17th and 18th centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree with the above comments.I don't really have anything else to add, but after browsing other video's posted, I could not resist this one. It defiantly has a very modern sarcastic tone I feel like our generation is all about. The narrator does such a wonderful job setting the tone of the story. I think the cartoon illustrations are hilarious- its like watching Family Guy, but about fairy tales. I think that it is just as valid as any other telling of the tale.

    ReplyDelete