Fairy Tales 2010

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Casual Thoughts on Zipes and My Fairy Tales Experience

It may be hard to believe, but I did not grow up with the “Frog Prince” fairy tale told to me. In fact before this class, I have never owned a book of fairy tales! My exposure to fairy tales came from the tales my mom would tell me (Hispanic versions of The Little Red Riding Hood in particular) and Disney videocassettes. This is why Zipes’ article, “What Makes a Repulsive Frog So Appealing: Memetics and Fairy Tales,” appealed to me. Zipes explains that motifs can become so ingrained in the human mind that they are informative about subconscious cultural actions. He explains that fairy tales, “reveal very important factors about our mind, memes and human behavior.” He uses “The Frog Prince” as his vehicle to argue the sexual implications of some fairy tales. In particular he is arguing that this tale type teaches us about mating strategies and courting practices. This thought really struck me. Before reading the assigned tales, I had no previous conceptions of the story, however, I have always known of the enchanted frog and his desire for a kiss from a princess to return to human form motif. (In fact the first time I ever saw this in action was in Sherk!)I guess I am living proof of part of his argument!

The hidden, or not so hidden sexuality- however you want to look at it, in the “The Frog Prince” surprised me. I may be naïve or just plain dense, but before this argument suggested to me the incorporation of sexuality and courting practices I did not make that connection. It is almost frightening to me that I have so blindly accepted Disney as the source of fairy tales and I have never before bothered the values imposed upon me. My fairy tale paradigm has already been rocked. I can only except the the rest of the semester will challenge my understanding of fairy tales so much that I will never look at them the same way again.

1 comment:

  1. I was particularly drawn to your post because you tackle Zipes' "What Makes a Repulsive Frog So Appealing" article. As you noted in your exposition, Zipes explains that fairy tales "reveal very important factors about our mind, memes and human behavior," and you placed his statement in the context of your childhood with Hispanic fairy tales and Disney videocassettes.

    In my own blog, I tackled the same issue, but I realized something... In fact, if you look at Zipes' particular phrasing, he says that fairy tales reveal important factors about our MINDS and HUMAN BEHAVIOR, but he inserts MEMES between the two. I actually commented in my blog on how I see the use of memes as playing potentially psychoanalytical AND anthropological roles AT THE SAME TIME. Does that not sound like a way to reconcile Bettelheim's and Darnton's arguments that we read a few weeks ago? (For more information, see my own posting this week, titled: "Plus ce différence, plus ce MEME chose: How Zipes Indirectly Connects Darnton and Bettelheim.")

    Therefore - and I think you would agree - fairy tales did play dual psychological and anthropological roles in your childhood as you latched on to particular memes from those Disney movies and Hispanic tales.

    ReplyDelete