Fairy Tales 2010

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Its a gift and a burden

"A Tale About the Boy Who went Forth to Learn What Fear Was" is an interesting tale. The boy leaves home to "get the Creeps." What really got my attention was how he kept saying, "if only I could get the creeps!" as if getting them would solve all his problems. As a reader I find it hilarious that the boy wants to learn how to fear. To me he's screaming out "I need to conform, I want to fit in!" He wants to be like everyone even if that means being fearful.

I read the blissfully stupid boy as the richest of all the characters because his ignorance is a gift that allows him to achieve great things that other men can't. Its even more beautiful because he is not motivated by wealth or glory. I think that he is really just searching for a a means to relate to other people with "the creeps" as his vehicle. The beauty of the ending is that he remains ignorant. If he were to become aware of his great potential he would most likely lose his gift and become just another cowardly man.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you-I found the story pretty funny also! I like your take on the ending. First of all, I never really put together the boy's wanting to get the creeps being associated with wanting to conform and fit in. I just remember thinking it was kind of a weird thing to want. When I first read the story, I was disappointed and unsatisfied with the ending because he still never learned what it meant to fear. However, upon second thought, I realize that there is significance to the fact that he remains ignorant in the end. Thanks for offering another perspective on this story!

    ReplyDelete